Start a new topic

The Brown Thrasher, Nature's Detective

They go through the forest floor, or anywhere there are leaves on the ground, using their long beak to flip the leaves and find something tasty.

2 people like this idea

What a lovely picture........ very nicely done Rebecca I like the flashes of yellow/green buds just enough to catch the interest but not pull you away from the main focus of the brird

Cheers Dave

1 person likes this
Beautiful bird Becky. All these beautiful creatures were created and given knowledge to know how to find their daily bread. A truly delightful picture. Thanks for sharing. Vivienne

1 person likes this

Thank you, Dave and Vivienne! 

Another beauty Rebecca. So well done. S/he is just gorgeous. The long beak certainly tells a story too. The few green buds caught my eye and thought that spring was just emerging. The colours are great for camouflage. I went looking to see if the female was different to the male but couldn't find anything. This came up though... Quote ... are exuberant singers, with one of the largest repertoires of any North American songbird. Many are copied from other bird's songs. Unquote

I love birds and I love yours, he looks so well fed.   (•ᴗ•)  Robyn

1 person likes this
We call them Thrushes here but it sounds and looks like the same bird.
Excellent!

1 person likes this

Thanks, Rob! I used to love listening to them when I lived down in the Southern U.S. They're quite prevalent in the warmer climates and they love those thick forests in the Piedmont of the Blue Ridge mountains. You're right on the singing too. The only bird I can think of that is better at stealing songs is the mockingbird :). There are a couple of clips on YouTube of Brown Thrashers sitting in trees, just singing away. 

Thanks for your compliments, Derek! You're right---the brown thrasher is often mistaken for some of the larger thrushes. I think the only difference is size (adult thrashers run around 20-30 cm) and their eye color, which is bright yellow-orange. 

I have just listened to them and others Becky.  They are in the same family as the mocking bird from what I read, but the thrasher was softer and prettier, the mocking bird more distinct and harder. (maybe that depends on which bird is being copied).  In one of the videos, the thrasher was singing non stop for 10 minutes. I hope they don't sing non stop all day... that would drive me crazy  :)   I guess they needed to stop recording at that point. 

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥✿(◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Rob

Very nice picture. Excellent use of brushes.

bd

1 person likes this

Beautiful Becky!

Login or Signup to post a comment