Start a new topic

Forest stream

Been working on this on and off for a couple of days ...

Bit of a mix of styles and techniques I'm afraid trying things out; but thought I'd share it anyway 

If people are just looking to see if techniques and styles are "correct" Dave, there would be little enjoyment in the picture itself?  Correct me if I'm wrong...  :)

I enjoyed viewing your scene very much, it's a beauty, and if you designed the layout yourself then more pluses to you. (nothing wrong in copying, or getting ideas from a layout though, I tried once and it became a dud). I love forest streams and they are usually pure water for drinking, the taste is amazing. I had that privilege as a kid.  :) Rob

I like the Disney-like reality

bd

Thanks Rob .well I sort of do and  don't agree

.I agree that if one's only motive in looking is to find possible faults then why bother...get a life

But for me a picture needs to read right it stems back from when I was in the printing industry selecting fine art prints and overseeng their production.

so a mix of styles  stops a picture pulling together correctly for me

This is a picture roughly of two halves mainly because I was trying out different brushes and methods of drawing foliage etc also ways of painting rocks grass mud and so on and on and on.............

But I'm glad you like the picture .Yes it is all painted and all my own invention.The only stream water I have drunk is in north wales near Snowdon we were camping and climbing but we had to go upstream a half mile to ensure there were no dead sheep in it first

The nicest water I ever tasted was on a rock climb called Idwal Slabs it was coming out of the rockface half way up cold pure and clear wonderful

thanks agin take care Dave

1 person likes this

Thanks Bob for your support

Dave

I like this a lot Dave. Great styles incorporated to make a great picture. Love that stream with the stepping stones in the middle. Nice work on the trees in the front and the misty look in the distance. Vivienne
Yes I like this very much. It's so evocative of childhood memories.
I love the way the background seems to pour down into the foreground. It makes me want to explore.
Best water I ever tasted was from the Silent Valley in the Mourne mountains in N. Ireland, also my grandmothers house received water from a limestone source that almost fizzed in the mouth.
Oh memories!
Hope to see more of this.

Thanks Vivienne and Thomas or is it Derek glad you both got something from it

Cheers Dave

Thought some of you might be interested in a screen capture I made before the final layout was decided. As can be seen I discarded quite a bit for the final design .....

shows the shape brush controls and the main clip bank I used to draw with.. lots of layers as well most of which were discarded.

You might wonder why the page view is showing .I always use this as a reference for levels and layout because if it looks ok in the thumbnail then you are usually on the right lines with the drawing

anyway here it is...Dave

I see the differences Dave and I rather like the full blown version very much. It has the extra plants in the foreground and the fuller amount of trees at the back, and I know that doesn't allow much light to glimmer through, but I still like it. I like the angle of the stream at the back in that version too. I'm just wondering about the brightness of the lighter bits on the stones by the bridge and on the pathway leading up to it. They look very white/bright amongst all the softer colours. Is that a type of slate stone that s naturally bright? :) Rob

In reply to your answer to me up further Dave, I understand your stance on the matter of styles being mixed, and some are glaringly wrong and are hard on the eyes. Your training makes you more in focus about it for sure. ..  I saw some men drinking water out of a rock face on TV some time back, and I envied them so much!  lol, but I didn't envy the danger... We had babbling brooks in the pine forest, lots of little stones covering the bed. It amazes me that stones of all sizes actually purify the water even if there's a carcass upstream. (providing the distance away is enough).  :) 

Derek, I really like the sound of the pure water in your life too!  :)

THanks Rob yes they are stones with quartz on them lots here in the south west but I agree they are too bright really . i just wanted something to pop a little there but over did it a tad.

this is a more complete other version so to speak

... and there's my favourite out of the three Dave.  :) The amount of lit area beyond the trees is just right. Beautiful...  :) :) Rob

I also like this one best of all. A lot more depth with light in the far off trees. Vivienne
Login or Signup to post a comment