Start a new topic
Solved

Strange Size by Stylus slow down

So I recently got an old system I setup to be a drawing system just for my Cintiq so I could stop mess with multiple monitors since TwistedBrush really dose not handle them well at all.

The setup is:

Athlon X2 2.3Ghz

4GB RAM

Windows 10 Pro

GT 710 1GB Ram Video card

Latest wacom Cintiq Drivers

The issue is that when size by stylus is select there is a very large and lagy amount of slow down no matter the brush size.

CPU usage spikes at 35~60% depending on the brush being used.

RAM is only at 28%

Lag doesn't happen when other elements are set to pressure such as density or opacity.

I have tried the tablet compatibility option and it had no effect.

Found and fixed this issue. It will be available in release 23.02.

Fixed - Using pen pressure to control size resulted in significant slowdown starting in 23.01.

Thanks,

Ken

Tossed an old SSD in the system and put Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit and tested with older Wacom drivers similar results.

Though interestingly lower CPU usage by about 10% on average for the same tasks, but even more lag when using size by stylus.

Uninstalled 23 installed 18.18 (as it's what I use on my ancient tablet with no issues) and things worked super smooth no issues, so figured I'd updated through versions and see where it started.

18 - Good

19 - Good

20 - Good

21 - Good

22 - Good

23 - Issues

So this appears to be unique to and introduced in version 23.

Can you share the exact brush code you have used?  

Thanks,

Ken

It effected every single brush I tried, and I tested a good range of everything in each version.

Especially the entire 1st page of the default artset.

Just installed 23.02. The fix works great. Ken, your efforts are very much appreciated. Have a good xmas.
cheers
Steve

Thanks for the feedback Steve! Merry Christmas!

Ken

Has their been any progress made on this? I recently updated to V23 and have found the same to be true of my old system as well, and have for now rolled back to version V22.
My system specs are about on par to what's already listed here just a little better video card, slightly faster CPU from the same family, windows 7 and using a wacom pro rather then a Cintiq.

Hi Von,

Are you also using an Athlon chip?  

So far I have not been able to replicate this issue. There were changes in handling of the dynamic brush size in V23 so I suspect that is the cause of the problem, however, being able to replicate the problem will greatly aid in addressing it. 

Thanks,

Ken

Yes I am using an Athlon X2 as well it's simply one clocked at 2.8Ghz
Same with the video card I am using a GT 730  rather then a 710.

Overall my system is not massively more powerful just a far bit, and the same happens anytime on any brush the dynamic brush size is turned on painting gets very
sluggish and laggy.

Just to see however I also just now dusted off a couple of Intel systems one dual core Celron 2.3ghz using a ATI 2350HD and one dual core Pentium 3.0ghz using an ATI  x1800xt and have found the same results V22 works amazingly well whereas V23 simply doesn't work well with dynamic brush size active on any brush.

I'm added below a brush which dynamically updates the brush size. Could you try if this brush shows the same slow behavior as brushes when pen pressure is used to control the size. Try this brush without setting the pen pressure to adjust the size.

** START BRUSH CODE
Pens
Basic pen
Pixel Mode,flat,0,0
Cor Dab Soft[1]Edge Softness[2]0[3]100[4],combo,0,0
Anti-Alias[1]Anti-Alias[2]0[3]1[4]1[5] [6],flat,0,0
Size,peak,9,9
*Filter[1]Dash Interval[2]0[3]10[4]1[5] [6],pulse,9,9
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,flat,0,0
No effect,combo,0,0
No effect,combo,0,0
No effect,combo,0,0
No effect,combo,0,0
No effect,combo,0,0
No effect,combo,0,0
No effect,combo,0,0
No effect,combo,0,0
Pro Pen Pixel
** END BRUSH CODE

Thanks,

Ken

I've been experiencing the same lagging in v23. The Basic Pen code you've posted doesn't exhibit that problem on my system. A good example of a brush which does show the lagging is Pro Palette Knife (2015) - with the Stylus box checked you see the delay in painting very clearly.

I have a Dell Intel i5 system and am using an old Wacom tablet. As reported by others, TwistedBrush worked great on previous versions.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for trying out the brush code and reporting a brush that shows the difference. i have been able to observe a difference between version 22 and 23 and will investigate and fix this issue.

Ken

Login or Signup to post a comment